Kasha Cabbage Roll with Mustard Sauce
2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
3 cups plain soymilk
8 Nappa or green cabbage leaves
3 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 medium onions –small dice
1 tablespoon garlic –minced
1 large potato –cut into 1/4-inch cube
2 cups Kasha –washed & drained
1/4 cup sunflower seeds –washed & drained
3 tablespoons shoyu
1. For sauce, add mustard to soymilk in a small saucepan, simmer 20 minutes while stirring, then continue cooking to reduce volume slightly.
2. Blanch larger cabbage leaves in slightly salted water, approx. 5 minutes or until pliable. Remove leaves and set aside to cool.
3. Sauté onions & garlic in oil w/ salt and pepper for 10 minutes, or until translucent. Add potato & sauté 5 more minutes.
4. Add Kasha & sunflower seeds to onion mixture, stir until well mixed & thoroughly heated.
5. Add water (approx. 3 cups), mix & bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
6. Season cooked Kasha mixture w/ shoyu & spread out on a tray until cool enough to handle.
7. Lay out a cabbage leaf & place the Kasha filling towards the bottom of the leaf, roll the leaf while turning in the sides.
8. Place finished rolls in a casserole pan & place in a low oven to reheat.
9. Serve topped with mustard sauce
* Indicates ingredients that should be added to taste.