Cooking time- 1 hour.
2 cups short grain brown rice -washed & soaked for 2 hours
12 cups vegetable stock w/ kombu
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup onion –medium dice
2 tablespoons garlic –minced
1 teaspoon saffron
1/4 cup carrot –medium dice
1/2 cup seitan -cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1/4 cup celery –medium dice
1/4 cup burdock –small dice
1 cup mushroom –medium slice
1/4 cup summer squash –medium dice
1 bunch parsley –minced
2 lemons –quartered
1 .Wash and soak rice and prepare vegetable stock by using veggie scraps & kombu.
2. Sauté onions & garlic in olive oil while stirring for 10 minutes. Add the rice & saffron while constantly stirring, cook 10 more minutes.
3. Slowly add vegetable stock while stirring, adding more stock as the rice absorbs it, and continue for 30 minutes on reduced heat.
4. Add carrot, seitan, celery & burdock. Continue to stir, adding more stock as needed, and cook approx. 20 minutes or until tender.
5. Still stirring & adding stock, add mushrooms & squash.
6. Season w/ salt & pepper & cook 10 more minutes.
7. Serve on a plate garnished with chopped parsley & lemon wedges.
* Indicates ingredients that should be added to taste.